Search the Register
Advanced Search
Image Not Available

Dutch Navy visit to Sydney

On 3 October 1930, ships of the Koninklijke Marine (Royal Dutch Navy) including HNLMS JAVA, HNLMS EVERSTEN and HNLMS DE RUYTER. The ships berthed at the Oceanic Steamship Company wharf and Burns Philp and Company Wharf in West Circular Quay. The Sydney Morning Herald reported on the 'unfamiliar spectacle' of the Dutch Navy and Samuel J Hood took photographs of the passengers and crew.

The cruisers also made stops in Melbourne, Adelaide and Fremantle before sailing to New Zealand.