Search the Register
Advanced Search

CLS4 Carpentaria

Vessel Number: HV000069
Date: 1917
Dimensions:
Vessel Dimensions: 21.94 m x 21.5 m x 7.82 m x 2.74 m, 164 tonnes (72 ft x 70.5 ft x 25.65 ft x 9 ft, 167 tons)
Classification:Vessels and fittings
Significance
CLS4 CARPENTARIA is a surviving lightship from the early 20th century and example of an early navigational service vessel built in Australia. It was one of four identical lightships built at Cockatoo Island Dockyard ibetween 1916 and 1918; the first lightships built in Australia. CLS4 has had a long service record with a close association to the areas around Cape York and North Queensland. It is also an example of an object designed by the Stevenson family from Scotland who were internationally renowned lighthouse builders for over four generations.
DescriptionThe CLS Series of Lightships including CLS4 were designed by Messrs David & Charles Stevenson of Edinburgh, Scotland in 1915. They were the fourth generation of the same family who had pioneered the design and construction of lighthouses and associated items around Scotland the UK. The family was world renowned for their work, and many of the structures are still extant and operating.

The vessel was built at Cockatoo Island Dockyard in 1917. It was one of a series of four lightships numbered CLS 1 - 4. CLS4 spent much of its time in the Gulf of Carpentaria, hence the name CARPENTARIA emblazoned along the side, but was last stationed in the Bass Strait oilfields serving as a traffic separator. The lightship was retired from service in 1985. CLS4 was fitted with a Southern Cross diesel engine in 1950 by Evans, Deakin of Brisbane to power the windlass. A welded steel angular deckhouse was fitted at the same time to protect the engine.

Constructed of riveted steel CLS4 is almost 22 metres long and displaces 164 tonnes. Candle power was 1500 candles and the nominal range of the light was 10 nautical miles. The light on CLS4 was powered by a six - month supply of acetylene gas. The vessel carried four A - 300 size acetylene cylinders. The AGA acetylene flashing light was inside a lantern with a 250mm focal radius drum lens. The flow of gas, which was ignited by a pilot flame, was controlled by an automatic mechanism to produce the characteristic code of flashes. A warning bell tolled with the rolling of the ship.

CLS4 CARPENTARIA was retired from service by the Federal Department of Transport in the 1980s. Later in the decade it became part of the National Maritime Collection at the Australian National Maritime Museum, where it is often on display in the water beside the Pyrmont Bridge.
Vessel Details
Cabin or superstructure material and construction:steel/iron
Current status:floating
Current status:non-operational
Current status:on public display
Current status:outside
Deck layout:full decked
Deck material and construction:steel/iron
Hand propulsion/steering mechanism:tiller
Hull material and construction:steel
Hull shape:canoe stern/double endedDE
Hull shape:displacement
Hull shape:monohull
Hull shape:plumb transomvertical transom
Hull shape:round bottom
Keel/centreboard/rudder type:bilge keels
Keel/centreboard/rudder type:full keel
Keel/centreboard/rudder type:transom rudder
Related materials:drawings
Related materials:news clippings
Related materials:photos
Related materials:plans
Related materials:references
Spar material:iron/steel

Discuss this Object

Comments

Please log in to add a comment.