Search the Register
Advanced Search

Echuca galvanised iron dinghy

Vessel Number: HV000229
Previous Owner: Matthew Tracey ,
Vessel type: Tinnies
Dimensions:
Vessel Dimensions: 3.6 m x 1 m x 0.32 m, 0.15 tonnes (11.81 ft x 3.28 ft x 1.05 ft, 0.15 tons)
Classification:Vessels and fittings
Significance
The 'galvanised iron' dinghy from Echuca on the Murray River in Victoria was built in the years after World War II and represents the ingenuity of regional Australians, showing how they created a vessel out of available materials and used for building various agricultural and farmyard items. In this case it is thought the dinghy was used for fishing and duck shooting.
DescriptionThe 3.6 metre (12 foot) long, flat bottomed dinghy was built in Echuca somewhere between 1945 and 1950 by Sandy Douglas, a plumber. He also made water tanks so had access to galvanised corrugated steel panels (commonly known as galvanised iron) to form the shape of the craft.

The stern is a half circle reflecting the typical round water tank. The sides remain parallel from the stern toward the middle then taper at the stem, where a small buoyancy tank is formed with metal plate. Timber forms the gunwales, two planks make up a midships thwart, with a plywood semi-circular stern seat. One ste of rowlocks was fitted for a pair of oars. It is a practical collection of simple, available materials. Its practicality is further highlighted by three repairs to the steel panels patched with the tin lids taken from food cans.

These craft were used on rivers/lakes and billabongs around the country. In 2008 this dinghy was owned by the Echuca Historical Society and part of their museum collection for about 20 years.
Vessel Details
Current status:on public display
Current status:outside
Hand propulsion/steering mechanism:oar
Hull material and construction:iron
Hull material and construction:timber
Hull shape:flat bottom
Current status:museum vessel

Discuss this Object

Comments

Please log in to add a comment.