Search the Register
Advanced Search

Waiwera

Vessel Number: HV000262
Date: 1908
Dimensions:
Vessel Dimensions: 12.19 m x 10.97 m x 3.58 m x 1.07 m, 11.81 tonnes (40 ft x 36 ft x 11.75 ft x 3.5 ft, 12 tons)
Classification:Vessels and fittings
Significance
WAIWERA, dating from about 1908, is a wooden ferry from Tuggerah Lakes and the Central Coast of New South Wales. In its long working life, it operated variously as a passenger ferry for holiday-makers, an oyster farm workboat and most recently a private motor launch. After a working life of more than eighty years the original hull remains intact but with superstructure modifications.
DescriptionWAIWERA is 12.19m (40 ft) long, with a plumb stem and counter stern, built from New Zealand kauri planking on Australian hardwood frames and longitudinal members. The builder is unknown, but the New Zealand name WAIWERA suggests a connection to the William Holmes firm at Lavender Bay, Sydney. Holmes came to Sydney from New Zealand, where he had been a shipwright. He is recorded as having built ferries of this type and size, some with Maori names.

It is believed WAIWERA went from Sydney to Wyong either in 1908 or 1910. Although records have been lost, WAIWERA was owned by ferry operators Taylor Brothers who also had camping grounds on Tuggerah Lakes. WAIWERA was one of at least four ferries the Taylors used to take holiday-makers from Wyong station to the their properties on the lake shores.

Buses took over the ferry routes in 1937 and WAIWERA was sold to Huey Thurlow, who took the vessel by sea to Port Stephens via Stockton, where he continued to use it as a ferry.

During World War II it was sold to oyster farmer Stan Phillips. His other craft had been requisitioned for the war effort, so WAIWERA became Phillips' workboat and maintained his oyster business. Phillips raised the topsides, changed the cabin configuration, and removed the superstructure in 1965. WAIWERA continued to work into the 1990s, its hardworking life evidenced by the fact it was then on its third diesel engine, along with new decks and other cabin changes.

In 2008 it had been substantially rebuilt as a private motor launch, but the original counter-sterned hull remains clearly evident, along with much of the original hull structure, including 95% of the kauri planking. The deck is now marine plywood in place of planking, and it has another new superstructure. The current engine is a Cummins diesel; however in 1948 it is known to have had a Kelvin diesel.

In its heyday WAIWERA was registered to carry up to about 50 passengers, it is now a spacious family cruiser.
Vessel Details
Cabin or superstructure material and construction:timber planked
Cabin or superstructure material and construction:timber plywood
Current status:operational
Deck layout:full decked
Deck material and construction:timber plywood
Hull material and construction:carvelcarvel-planked
Hull material and construction:wood/fibreglass
Hull shape:displacement
Hull shape:monohull
Hull shape:overhanging stem
Hull shape:plumb stemvertical stem
Hull shape:round bottom
Keel/centreboard/rudder type:full keel
Keel/centreboard/rudder type:keel hung rudder
Motor propulsion:diesel
Motor propulsion:motor vesselMV
Propeller:single
Hand propulsion/steering mechanism:wheel
ship:ships:Byzantine ships:ships:wheelhouse
Alternate Numbers

Vessel Registration Number: JD28N

Discuss this Object

Comments

Please log in to add a comment.