Search the Register
Advanced Search

PS Pevensey

Vessel Number: HV000423
Date: 1910
Dimensions:
Vessel Dimensions: 33.97 m x 33.97 m x 7.01 m x 1.37 m, 121.95 tonnes (111.45 ft x 111.45 ft x 23 ft x 4.5 ft, 120 tons)
Classification:Vessels and fittings
Significance
PS PEVENSEY is a Murray River paddle steamer from 1910, and was built at Moama in NSW, opposite the Port of Echuca in Victoria. It was one of the largest towing and cargo paddle steamers on the river and was known as the 'great Clydesdale' of the river. PS PEVENSEY remained operating on the river until 1958. After a number of years lying dormant it was purchased in 1973 and restored at Echuca. It began operating again in 1976 as an excursion vessel and is still taking trips in 2010. It is one of a small number that still operates in its cargo carrying layout, and with its original, reconditioned engine.
DescriptionPS PEVENSEY was the last vessel built at the Moama Slipway, which is across the river from the Port of Echuca. It was designed by Peter Westergaard and built by Permewan, Wright and Company for their own use. It began life in 1910 as the barge MASCOTTE, but was rebuilt as the paddle steamer PS PEVENSEY within 12 months. It was fitted with a 20 hp 2 cylinder steam engine from Marshall and Sons in the United Kingdom. It was first used on the Murrumbidge River where it collected wool bales and brought them back to Echuca, where they were shipped to Melbourne by train. It could carry 815 bales by itself and a total of 2000 bales when it towed barges.

In October 1932 it was damaged by fire and partially sunk, however the hull and machinery remained sound and it was rebuilt from 1933 to 1935. In 1950 it was sold to Leslie Mewett of Mildura and continued to operate on the river for two more years before it was taken to nearby Moorna Station to be used as a base for a fishing fleet. By May 1958 it was in Renmark South Australia and laid up beside the riverbank, and then in 1962 it was sold to BJ Oxley who planned to turn it into a museum at Mildura. It was sunk at its Mildura moorings in 1967 by vandals, refloated by new owners a year later, and then sold on to the Mildura City Council.

Plans to return it to an operating vessel came to fruition when the Port of Echuca purchased the vessel and used a grant from the Victorian Government to restore the paddle steamer to operating condition. In December 1974 it went back to the Moama Slipway, and was relaunched on 29 October 1976. The final fit out was done at the Echuca wharf and then it began operating excursions for the public. In 1982 it had a role in the TV mini-series 'All the Rivers Run' carrying the name PHIILDELPHIA. The series was shown world-wide and helped boost the tourist trade for Echuca.

In 2014 it is still operating and doing up to four trips a day when rostered on duty at the Port of Echuca. It remains in its original form as a cargo vessel, and still operates with its original 2 cylinder engine.

Prepared with assistance from the Register of Australian and New Zealand Ships and Boats compiled by Mori Flapan www.boatregister.net
Vessel Details
Cabin or superstructure material and construction:timber plywood
Current status:floating
Current status:operational
Deck layout:multiple decks
Deck material and construction:steel/iron
Deck material and construction:timber planked
Hull material and construction:carvelcarvel-planked
Hull material and construction:iron
Hull material and construction:timber
Hull shape:canoe stern/double endedDE
Hull shape:flat bottom
Hull shape:monohull
Hull shape:plumb stemvertical stem
Keel/centreboard/rudder type:transom rudder
Motor propulsion:paddle steamerpaddle wheelerPSsternwheeler
Motor propulsion:steam reciprocating
Propeller:side wheel
Hand propulsion/steering mechanism:wheel
Additional Titles

Previous title: Mascotte

Primary title: PS Pevensey

Alternate Numbers

Official Number: 120770

Discuss this Object

Comments

Please log in to add a comment.