Search the Register
Advanced Search

Weene

Vessel Number: HV000435
Date: 1910
Dimensions:
Vessel Dimensions: 10.97 m x 7.42 m x 2.79 m x 1.68 m, 3.66 tonnes (36 ft x 24.33 ft x 9.15 ft x 5.5 ft, 3.6 tons)
Classification:Vessels and fittings
Significance
WEENE is one of the seven original Tasmanian one-design yachts that raced together on the Derwent River in Hobart from 1910 through to the 1930s. It was the first one of the class to be built and it was launched as SPINDRIFT in 1911 from Charles Lucas' yard. The class was built to an American design that was modified in Hobart before being adopted. Lucas was one of the premier yacht builders in Hobart during that period. WEENE has had a long association with Hobart, the Derwent River and Tasmanian waters as a racing and cruising boat until 2005 when it went interstate. In 2010 WEENE has been restored and maintained to a high standard, and once again races each weekend in club events.

DescriptionCharles Lucas built WEENE at his Battery Point yard in Hobart for Edwin H Webster. He was a well-known yachting figure and businessman in Hobart and had promoted the concept of a one-design class since the late 1800s, and finally found success when he persuaded several other yachtsmen to build identical boats to form a class that became known as "One-Designers". WEENE was the first of seven of the type that were built to race in Hobart.

Lucas built six of these almost identical yachts. It is carvel planked in Huon pine and when launched measured about 10 metres overall. It had a gaff rig and the design for the yacht came from William Hand Jr in the USA, with modifications suggested by Hobart designer Alfred Blore. Hand was a prolific designer from the late 1890s until the late 1930s, who specialized in V-bottom powerboat designs after about 1910. He came from Fairhaven, Massachusetts in the USA. Blore was a draughtsman, designer and engineer who produced vessel designs of his own, but was widely used in Tasmania as a consultant on in a variety of vessel projects from the 1890s until 1930. The plans were drawn in 1899 and originally published in "The Rudder" in February 1900. The yacht was designed to be a "knockabout" type and the construction to be "strong and durable". This design was modified by Blore to suit local boatbuilding methods and sailing conditions. It was the blue print of this adapted design that was finally approved for a one-design class by the committee of the Derwent Sailing Club which later became the Royal Yacht Club of Tasmania (RYCT). The vessels cost 200 pounds to build.

WEENE's original name was SPINDRIFT and its launch was reported in the Hobart Mercury on the 18th of October 1911 under the heading "Launch of the SPINDRIFT."

"The shipyards of Mr. Chas. Lucas were yesterday afternoon the scene of a pleasant little ceremony, which will probably mark a new era in the history of yachting in Tasmania. The occasion was the launch of Mr. E. H. Webster's new one-design yacht, and as she left the ways she was appropriately christened the SPINDRIFT by the owner's two sturdy little sons, Masters Hugh and Guy Webster. Mrs. E. H. Webster was also present and a few yachting enthusiasts, who cheered as the handsome little vessel started into her native element.

A good deal of local interest has been excited over the construction of these one- design yachts, and the SPINDRIFT, which is the first to be completed, was much admired, both on the slip and in the water. Her owner can certainly claim to be the pioneer of a movement which is almost certain to be of incalculable benefit to yachting, and when the other two which are in course of construction are afloat it will be surprising if more do not follow very rapidly. Mr. D. Barclay, jun.'s yacht is now ready to have the keel fitted, and the one for Messrs. Douglas, Tarleton, and Knight is ready, for planking. "

WEENE took that name when the well known Batt family bought the yacht after Webster had owned it for less than a year. It had a successful racing career in a variety of events in and around the Derwent River. Amongst its many wins were the Lipton Cup in 1914 and the Bruny Island Race in 1914. WEENE was still competitive in the 1920s when the one-designs became part of the A Class fleet and raced against similar but larger yachts. In 1925 it adopted the new Marconi rig and was one of the first yachts to do so in Hobart. By the end of the 1920s the one-designs were being out-classed by newer and larger yachts and some left racing to become cruising yachts. To stay competitive WEENE was lengthened as an experiment in 1930 to almost 11 metres or 36 feet and it remained racing until the outbreak of World War II. Stories conflict as to whether this was done by another well-known Hobart boat builder Percy Coverdale or the original builder Charles Lucas.

WEENE rejoined yacht racing in 1962 and still managed some excellent results. An auxiliary motor had been added in 1950, and it was re-fastened and painted black in 1970, almost 60 years after it had been launched. In 2005 it moved from Tasmania to the mainland under new owners and has remained there racing successfully with other classic yachts, and attending classic boat festivals.


Vessel Details
Ballast:external
Ballast:lead
Cabin or superstructure material and construction:timber planked
Current status:floating
Current status:operational
Deck layout:cabin
Deck layout:decked with cockpit
Deck material and construction:timber planked
Hull material and construction:carvelcarvel-planked
Hull material and construction:timber
Hull shape:monohull
Hull shape:overhanging stem
Hull shape:overhanging transom
Keel/centreboard/rudder type:full keel
Keel/centreboard/rudder type:keel hung rudder
Motor propulsion:auxiliary motor
Propeller:single
Rig type:BermudanBermudianmarconi
Rig type:sloop
Sail cloth:synthetic
Additional Titles

Previous title: Spindrift

Primary title: Weene

Alternate Numbers

Sail Number: A1

Sail Number: R1

Vessel Registration Number: 1910N

Sail Number: 1

Discuss this Object

Comments

Please log in to add a comment.