Search the Register
Advanced Search

Silver Arrow

Vessel Number: HV000716
Date: 1936
Dimensions:
Vessel Dimensions: 15.24 m × 15.24 m × 4.42 m × 1.17 m (50 ft × 50 ft × 14.5 ft × 3.85 ft)
Classification:Vessels and fittings
Significance
SILVER ARROW is a motor cruiser built in Sydney in 1936. It was built by Lars Halvorsen Sons in their yard at Neutral Bay for Frank Paul and was a sister ship to SILVER CLOUD (II) owned by J.A.S. Bruce. SILVER ARROW has particular significance as one of the modest number of luxury Halvorsen craft requisitioned for war service in World War II. It later served in New Guinea before being returned to Sydney and resuming its recreational role. It is an excellent early example of Harold Halvorsen’s designs for the company,
DescriptionSILVER ARROW was yard number 151 and built to the designs of Harold Halvorsen at their Neutral Bay yard. It was one of their 50 foot launches with a raised midships wheelhouse and saloon, and the cabin top over the aft accommodation was used for stowing a dinghy on davits. As launched it was powered by twin Morris Commodore marine engines, 36hp each. It could reach 10 knots comfortably. The craft was launched on the 31st of October 1936, and was featured in the November edition of the International Power Boat and Aquatic Monthly. Their report noted that Mrs Frank Paul handled the christening, and gave a detailed description of it layout. The forward cabin had berths and a toilet, with a galley aft using the whole width of the boat. It had a refrigerator, stove, sink and storage spaces. The saloon, aft of the helm station had a settee berth, sideboard and cupboards and folding table. Aft was the head and another cabin and berths. It was described as having “a considerable degree of luxury”. The fact that it was finished with Berger’s ‘Synthelac’ enamel was also a feature in the report and supported by an advertisement for the same product on that page.

James Paul had two other craft built at the same time, yard number 158 was 10 ft dinghy and yard number 159 was a 15 foot long motor tender. Both were completed in November 1936 and would have been used in conjunction with the larger cruiser.

SILVER ARROW was one of a number of Halvorsen cruisers taken over by the government for the war effort. It is understood SILVER ARROW was requisitioned in 1942. In April 1943 records show it was transferred to Rockhampton and placed under US 41st Division. It later went to New Guinea and was understood to have towed barges as one of its duties.

After the war it reverted back to its recreational use as a private motor launch, and was renamed JOYOUS at one point. It has since reverted to its original name and has been overhauled and restored. During this period a flying bridge helm position was added over the wheelhouse, and addition seen on other Halvorsen cruisers.

Vessel Details
Cabin or superstructure material and construction:timber planked
Deck layout:cabin
Deck material and construction:timber plywood
Deck material and construction:wood/dynel
Hull material and construction:carvelcarvel-planked
Hull material and construction:timber
Hull shape:monohull
Hull shape:plumb stemvertical stem
Hull shape:round bottom
Keel/centreboard/rudder type:launch deadwood
Keel/centreboard/rudder type:spade rudder
Motor propulsion:diesel
Motor propulsion:motor vesselMV
Hand propulsion/steering mechanism:wheel
Additional Titles

Primary title: Silver Arrow

Previous title: Joyous

Alternate Numbers

registration number: BR050Q

Discuss this Object

Comments

Please log in to add a comment.