Search the Register
Advanced Search
The shell at on display in the Watermarks Gallery ANMM,  with the Oarsome Foursome shell beside it.

Bairnsdale Rowing Club

Bairnsdale Rowing club were founded in 1873 on the Mitchell river in the Gippsland area of Victoria. The Bairnsdale Rowing club held regular competitions on the Mitchell river. The club helped to produce many champion oarsmen and women. The club was closed in the 1960s.

It reopened in 1987 and made an appeal for boats and oars from metropolitan rowing clubs. This resulted in the donation of a clinker rowing boat which has subsequently been donated to the Australian National Maritime Museum.

This material is significant in recording the history of the Bairnsdale Rowing Club.